- 1 package Premio Sweet Italian Sausage removed from casing or Sausage Meat
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk, heated
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 cups cooked pasta
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture has the consistency of wet sand.
- Slowly pour in the warmed milk while constantly whisking. The mixture will become extremely thick, but thin as more milk is added. Continue whisking until smooth. Bring the mixture to a low boil, stirring often to prevent scorching. Season with salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook about 10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add grated cheese until smooth.
- Mix the cooked pasta and Premio sausage into the sauce. Transfer to an oven-proof baking dish and spread evenly. Top with more of the grated Parmesan. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees (F) until golden brown and bubbly.
Yields: 6 servings
Premio Hot Italian Sausage, Premio Chicken varieties
Recipe courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE)