How to Make Butternut Squash Ravioli w/Premio Italian Sausage and Kale:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Place the squash on a foil-lined baking tray and place in the oven; cook until easily pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Cut roasted squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Scoop 2 cups of the roasted squash filling into a food processor. Add cheese, flour and nutmeg, and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fill the ravioli (this process was demonstrated in the ICE class). Formed ravioli may be held in the refrigerator on a lightly floured tray for 24 hours or held frozen for up to 3 months.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil. Drop the pasta into the boiling water and stir immediately. Leave pasta to cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Trim the stems from the kale and coarsely chop the leaves. In a large saute pan, over high heat, pour about 3 Tbsp. olive oil and add the garlic. Quickly heat the oil and lightly brown the garlic cloves; add pinch of pepper flakes.
- Immediately add chopped kale and season with kosher salt. With kitchen tongs, turn thel leaves so that they are all exposed to the hot pan. Continue cooking until lightly wilted, then transfer to a bowl.
- Wipe out the pan and return to heat. Add some fresh olive oil to pan; add Premio Italian Sausage. Mix well with a wooden spoon and break into pieces. Cook until sausages are browned. Turn the heat off until the pasta is cooked.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with sausage. Turn heat to high and return the kale to the pan. Toss in cheese and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of of the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE).