- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Poach and then grill the sausages, covered, turning occasionally and brushing with vinegar, until cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Grill onions and peppers until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Place peppers and onion in a large bowl and toss with vinegar to coat and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Fold in the basil, if desired.
- Cut sausage in half and layer into hero rolls or bread of your choice with the grilled onions and peppers.
Recipe courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE)