How to Make Game-Day Tailgating Party Sausage Heroes:
- In a 4-inch deep and 12-inch wide skillet, evenly brown sausages over low heat, turning frequently to avoid burning. Remove from skillet, set aside and drain.
- Add 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil to skillet and add chopped onion and red and green bell peppers. Cook, turning frequently, for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add can of crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried oregano; stir.
- Add sausage back to skillet and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring often (some liquid from the tomato will evaporate and mixture should thicken).
- Cut open hero rolls without slicing completely through. Take out excess breading in the middle of the roll.
- In each roll, put 2 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese. Place one cooked sausage link and about 3 Tbsp. of the cooked tomato/pepper/onion mixture on top.
- Wrap each hero in aluminum foil and place in baking pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree (F) oven for about 10-12 minutes, until cheese melts and hero is thoroughly heated.
Note: If tailgating, place wrapped heroes in a disposable pan to heat. DO NOT place directly on grill.
Submitted by: Annmarie B.