- 2 lbs. Premio Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 TBSP. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced into 14-inch strips
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, cored and sliced into 14-inch strips
- 2 green bell peppers, stemmed, cored and sliced into 14-inch strips
- 3 TBSP. apple cider vinegar
- 3 TBSP. sugar
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
|How to make Grilled Italian Sausage with Sweet & Sour Peppers and Onions:
1. Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, until simmering; add onions and peppers, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and browned in spots (approximately 8 minutes).
2. Add vinegar and sugar; remove from heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Light one chimney full of charcoal; once lit, cover with gray ash, pour out and arrange coals on one side of charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, set half the burners on a gas grill to the highest heat setting, cover, and preheat for 10 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate.
4. Transfer pepper mixture to a 10-inch square disposable aluminum pan.
5. Construct a tray out of double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil, 10-inches square, with sides about 2-inches high; nestle sausage into pepper mixture.
6. Place tray on hot side of grill and grill until simmering, about 4 minutes; slide to cooler side of grill. Cover grill with vents over sausages; cook with all vents open until sausages register 140-145 degrees (about 20 minutes, turning once in the middle).
7. Remove sausages from peppers and place directly on cooking grates over hot side of grill; grill, turning occasionally, until well browned and crisp, about 3 minutes total.
8. Return to pepper mixture.
9. Toast buns over hot side of grill, if desired. Serve sausages with buns and sweet & sour peppers.
Submitted by: Mark K.
Summer 2013 Grilling Recipe Contest