- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Brush the cut sides of the zucchini, squash, tomatoes and eggplant with the oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Poach and then grill the sausages, covered, turning occasionally and brushing with 1 tablespoon vinegar, until cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Grill the vegetables until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side (1 minute for the tomatoes); transfer to cutting board.
- Cut the grilled vegetables into 1 1/2 inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Toss with the vinegar to coat and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Fold in the basil, if desired.
- Cut sausages in half and layer into semolina rolls or bread of your choice with the grilled vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE)