How to make Italian Sausage Ragu over Pearl Couscous:
- Place a large sauté pan on stove and put 1 Tbsp. olive oil in pan (do not turn on heat). Make little individual bite-size sausage meatballs by squeezing sausage out of casing and placing in pan. Once all sausage is in pan, turn heat on to medium and cook until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan, leaving oil in pan.
- Add carrots, onion and mushrooms to pan and sauté until mushrooms have given off their water. Season with salt and pepper, and add garlic; sauté for additional minute.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth/stock to pan, add sausage balls with juices and let cook until carrots are cooked through and sauce has cooked for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare couscous according to package instructions. Take broccoli florets and steam until cooked but still pretty firm, about 3-4 minutes.
- Place large sauté pan on stove and put 2 Tbsp. olive oil in pan; heat on medium until pan is hot but not smoking. Add garlic and sauté until lightly browned, careful not to burn. Add drained sundried tomatoes and broccoli, and sauté, adding more olive oil as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate this delicious creation by placing prepared couscous in middle of dish and make a well in the center; place sautéed broccoli around perimeter and then ladle sausage ragu in the well of the couscous. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese all around and enjoy!
Submitted by: Sarah W.
Winter Recipe Contest 2014-2015