Fried Corn Tortilla Chips
1. Cut each of the tortilla into 6 wedges. Heat a pot of oil to 350 degrees. Fry the tortillas in batches until golden and crisp. Transfer to a cooling rack on a rimmed sheet tray to cool, and season lightly with salt.
1. In a large skillet, cook the chorizo, garlic and cumin, stirring over medium heat until the sausage is browned and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain over paper towels.
2. Add the pinto beans, chili powder, salt and 1 cup water (maybe more, depending on the moisture in the beans) to the skillet. Cook over medium heat until warmed through, smashing with the back of a heavy wooden spoon or potato masher until chunky/smooth. Remove from heat.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
4. On 1-2 large sheet trays spread enough tortilla chips into 1 even layer. Top with a layer of beans, then sausage, cheeses, onions and sliced jalapenos. Bake until the cheeses are melted and the mixture is hot, 5-8 minutes. Remove from the oven.
5. In a small bowl. whisk together the sour cream and lime juice, with a pinch of salt. Drizzle over nachos, garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE)