How to make Maple-Beer Breakfast Corndogs
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the buttermilk, maple syrup, and egg. Whisk until well combined. Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients and gently mix with a spoon or spatula. The batter will be quite thick and there will be some lumps. Set aside 15-30 minutes to rest.
- When ready to cook, mix in the beer to achieve pancake consistency (thick, but pourable).
- Place the cooked sausage onto 12-inch bamboo skewers or a wooden chopstick.
- Heat a pot of oil to 350 degrees.
- Using the stick, dip the sausage into the pancake batter and turn to coat well. Remove from the batter and let any excess drip off. Then carefully dip the battered sausage into the hot oil. Hold briefly before releasing so the batter does not stick to the bottom of the pot. Fry until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Drain on a rack and serve with warmed maple syrup.
Recipe courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE)