How to make Premio Sausage and Farro Casserole:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In Dutch oven, in a large pan, heat oil and brown whole sausage. Remove from pan and set aside until it’s cool enough to handle. Slice and set aside (won’t be cooked through at this point).
3. In the meantime, bring a pot of salted water to boil and add in farro. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. In the Dutch oven, add in 1 tsp. oil and then saute the carrots, onion and celery for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and poblano pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add in the herbs, salt, pepper, sausage and tomatoes.
6. Strain the farro and add it to the Dutch oven.
7. Stir in 1 cup chicken broth and bake covered for 20 minutes. Check to see if additional broth is needed. If so, continue to add.
8. Continue baking process for 10 minutes while preparing the topping.
9. In a frying pan, heat butter (or olive oil) and toast the bread crumbs, approximately 1 minute.
10. Remove casserole from oven.
11. Mix cheese with bread crumbs.
12. Sprinkle crumb mixture over casserole and broil just until it’s browned.
13. Plate topping with a drizzle of olive oil and garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy!
Recipe Submitted by Rita L.