|How to make Salted Caramel Sausage-Pineapple Skewers with Warm Broccoli-Rice Slaw:
1. Drain pineapple chunks, reserving juice separately.
2. Cut sausage links crosswise into approximately 1-inch pieces.
3. Place ¼ cup of reserved pineapple juice into a bowl and combine with soy sauce; add the sausage pieces, tossing to coat and let stand for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Gently stir ¼ cup of reserved pineapple juice and broccoli slaw into hot rice, blending well. Season with salt and pepper, then cover and let sit while preparing skewers.
5. Whisk caramel topping with remaining pineapple juice and mustard, blending well; set aside.
6. Preheat outdoor grill to medium-heat. Thread drained sausage pieces, pineapple chunks and green onions onto 8 metal (or soaked bamboo) skewers, dividing equally; place on grill.
7. Cook for 5 minutes, then brush with caramel mixture, repeating until the sausage is browned (internal temperature should be 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer), approximately 15-18 minutes total, turning as needed for even browning.
8. Divide warm rice mixture, evenly, among 4 serving plates; place 2 skewers over each plate.
9. Sprinkle skewers lightly with flaky sea salt and serve while warm.
Note: If bamboo skewers are used, soak in water for about 30 minutes to prevent scorching.
Yields: 4 servings
Submitted by: Janice E.
Summer 2013 Grilling Recipe Contest