Sausage and Cabbage Purses
- 4 Premio Italian Chicken Sausages w/ Spinach & Feta
- 8 large cabbage leaves, blanched until soft and then dried
- 2 cups cooked wild rice, cooled
- 3 TBSP. bottled or homemade Caesar salad dressing
- 8 toothpicks, soaked in water for ½ hour
- 3 TBSP. olive oil
- Heated pasta sauce for garnish, if desired
|How to make Sausage and Cabbage Purses:
1. Grill sausage according to package directions; cut in half crosswise.
2. Place cabbage leaves on work surface and spread out flat.
3. Gently toss rice and salad dressing, with a fork, in a small mixing bowl.
4. Spread ¼ cup rice mix in center of each cabbage leaf and top with a sausage half.
5. Tuck cabbage sides over top and roll to make a neat envelope effect; secure each with a toothpick.
6. Preheat grill to medium (350 degrees).
7. Baste rolls with olive oil; place on grill and sear tops, bottoms and sides for 1 minute each (total of 4 minutes) or until lightly charred.
8. Reduce heat to medium-low (300 degrees) and cook for additional 15 minutes, turning over once halfway through cooking time.
9. Remove toothpicks and serve hot. Heated pasta sauce may be offered to top cooked rolls, if desired.
Yields: 8 servings
Submitted by: Al B.
Summer 2013 Grilling Recipe Contest