|How to make Slam Dunk Spicy-Sweet Sausage Strata:
1. Preheat oven to bake at 325 degrees (F). Generously grease a 13.5” long X 10.5” wide X 3” deep oval ceramic baking dish (or similar-sized baking dish) with butter.
2. In an 8-quart mixing bowl, add bread and cheese; set aside
3. Cook chicken sausage in a non-stick, 9” skillet over medium heat until fully cooked, flipping sausages half-way through. Once cooled, chop into bite-size pieces and set aside
4. Melt 2 TBSP. butter in a deep, 12” non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes before adding kosher salt, stirring occasionally with rubber spatula
5. Add carrots, corn, zucchini and chopped sausage and stir to combine.
6. Add chili powder, cayenne pepper, French tarragon, cinnamon and honey; stir to combine and remove skillet from heat
7. Meanwhile, heat cream in a medium-sized sauce pan over low-medium heat, stirring frequently with wooden spoon, until hot but not boiling
8. Add eggs to a large mixing bowl and whisk. Slowly pour hot cream into eggs, pouring in stages, and then whisking to temper the eggs (you don’t want the eggs to start cooking)
9. Pour the hot egg mixture over the bread and cheese. Mix well with rubber spatula so that all bread chunks absorb the liquid
10. Transfer the sausage-vegetable mixture to the bread mixture and stir until combined; pour into prepared baking dish
11. Bake on middle oven rack for 45-60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and strata appears to be set
12. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before spooning onto plates. Serve for brunch of dinner
Yields: 10-12 servings
Submitted by: Sarah M.