- 3 Premio Mexican Chorizo Sausage links, cooked and chopped
- 1 roll phyllo dough, thawed (20 sheets)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TSP. smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup canned tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 TSP. red pepper flakes
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup pepper-jack cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 TBSP. olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
|How to make Southwest Sausage Pockets:
1. Place sausage, onion and peppers on grill; grill sausage according to package instructions. Grill onion and peppers until tender.
2. In a frying pan, over medium-heat, add in olive oil, smoked paprika, tomatoes and green chilies, and red pepper flakes.
3. Add rice, corn and black beans and continue to cook to heat, until hot; remove from heat and add cheese and cilantro.
4. Unroll phyllo, place on smooth surface (countertop or parchment paper) and cut in half. Remove single sheet and brush with butter.
5. Remove another sheet of phyllo, brush with butter, and place on top of 1st sheet, crisscrossing sheets.
6. Brush top sheet with butter and repeat until you have 6 layers.
7. Gently press phyllo into 6-count large muffin pans and fill cup with sausage mixture and rice mixture.
8. Fold outer edges of phyllo over mixture, brushing with butter as you layer; top phyllo cup with butter and repeat for remaining pockets.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
10. Allow pockets to cool for 3-5 minutes before removing from pan; serve and enjoy.
Yields: 6 pockets
Submitted by: Darlene B.
Summer 2013 Grilling Recipe Contest