- Prepare a pesto (recipe as follows) and set aside.
- Prepare chicken sausage by first poaching then grilling over medium-high heat. Set aside.
- Prepare eggplant, zucchini, and squash by slicing each into 1/4 inch slices lengthwise. Brush each piece with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill briefly over medium heat to achieve grill marks.
- Allow vegetables to come to room temperature.
- Paint a piece of eggplant with pesto and top with a zucchini slice. Then, paint the zucchini slice with pesto and top with a squash slice. Cut chicken sausage into quarters and lay on top and roll up. Secure with a skewer or tooth pick and return to the grill briefly to reheat.
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mince one garlic clove in a food processor.
- Add 2 packed cups (washed and spun dry) fresh basil leaves and process to chop.
- With motor running drizzle in 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- Season with 1/2 tsp. salt.
Recipe courtesy of the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE)